1.618 L'édition 2012
1.618 SUSTAINABLE LUXURY 2012
COUNTRY OF HONOR: BRAZIL
After two editions in the Palais de Tokyo, the 2012 event took place in the Cité de la Mode et du Design, from March 29 to April 1, launching the Sustainable Development Week in France.
1.618 Sustainable Luxury concentrated on the issues coming from two of the year’s key industry events -the World Water Council and Rio +20 Earth Summit.
Major stakeholders from around the world participated in these key industry events, including:
The Brazilian designer and businessman has dedicated his career to fashion and sustainable development. He is the founder and creator of OSKLEN, a prêt-à-porter brand, and the Instituo-e Foundation. He also serves as a UNESCO Goodwill Ambassador.
The Water Observatory
Inhotim, the Contemporary Art Foundation, presented their latest project, the Water Observatory, a leading centre for the diagnosis and management of the world’s water.
JACQUES ROUGERIE FOUNDATION:
The foudation presented the Seaorbiter, an innovative underwater exploration machine, which is to be unveiled in 2014.
« Cidade das Aguas »
The “Cidade das Aguas” project was presented at the 2012 event. This global project is concerned with water protection and supported by brazilian and international companies, institutions and foundations, under the patronage of UNESCO and HIDROEX.
GREEN CROSS INTERNATIONAL:
Smart Water for Green Schools
The NGO, founded 20 years ago by Mikael Gorbatchev, presented its Smart Water for Green Schools program, which raises awareness around access to drinking water.
32 EXHIBITORS APPROVED IN 20123 / 4
Norlha développe des produits qui exploitent les qualités naturelles des matières premières de son environnement.
MV Boat, Charpentier actualise la navigation de plaisance et fait la révolution silencieuse en présentant Evolution, son Classic Power électrique…
Le Lit National
Le Lit National est une entreprise familiale centenaire, fabriquant de literie haut de gamme sur mesure.
BMW i est née grâce à une approche globale qui réinvente la mobilité individuelle
1.618 Sustainable Luxury was extremely proud to unveil, exclusively in France, the BMW i sustainable approach to urban mobility. The 2 vehicles displayed drew the attention of all present and both the press and visitors responded enthusiastically.
● The MV BOAT > one of the first boats with an electric outboard motor, cruised along the Seine, delighting several privileged people who were the first to experience this elegant, noise-free boating!
● VOLTEIS by Starck > A 100% green, electrically operated vehicle, was revealed for the first time in France, getting an enthusiastic reception from our public and the media. The public also awarded the brand the 1.168 Public Award.
● Island (e)motion > chose 1.618 for the international launch of its extraordinary boat-island concept. All the visitors were amazed and the professionals present were delighted to be able to collaborate with a visionary project.
● 16ème Sud
● Collection Maison
● Fondation Jacques Rougerie SeaOrbiter
● Green Cross International
● Groupe Antilopes
● Honest By
● HOTEL FERIENART SAAS-FEE
● Instituto e
● Le Lit National
● MCM Design Studio
● MV BOAT
● One Nation Paris
● UNESCO HidroEX
THE HEC EVENING & 1.618 SUSTAINABLE LUXURY AWARDC
150 members of HEC networks and 1.168 luxury industry players accepted the invitation to attend this private evening event.
They attended a round table on the topic « Luxury and Sustainable Development, from Incantation to Action » and then witnessed the presentation of the HEC&1.618 Sustainable Luxury Award by a jury made up of members of the industry.
The Brazilian brand OSKLEN also received recognition for its innovative, daring and responsible work. A ” Coup de Coeur ” Award was also made to the Jacques Rougerie Foundation for its seabed protection work.
● Jean-Noël Kapferer – Professor at HEC and co-author of ” Luxe Oblige ”
● Anne Ponsard–Dellière – International Marketing Director for the Richemont Group
● François Prévost – Consultant, Time to Market
● Vanina Sommer – Southern Europe Marketing Director, Le Mandarin Oriental
● Liz Alderman – Journalist, International Herald Tribune
● Christophe Sommet – Assistant Director, TF1 Discovery Centre
● Pascal Monfort – Trending Expert and ISEM professor
THE 1.618 SUSTAINABLE LUXURY PRIZE AWARDED BY THE PUBLIC
“Which product is the most attractive? “
Visitors were able to express their preference by voting on interactive terminals throughout the event.
The V+ Volteis by Starck, an electric car designed by Philippe Starck, won the most votes!
THE “ON TEARS AND FRESH WATER” EXHIBITION3 / 5
After the two previous events, dedicated to the issue of consumption and then to urban questions, the artistic exhibition presented the works of artists on the event’s theme of water.
With Lauranne Germond, co-founder and director of Coal, as commissioner, the artists presented led the visitors to think through the issues linked to climate change. They highlighted urgent ecological and human needs connected with water-related questions.
9 artists and 14 works
The artists’ approach to the subject was to use emotional impact to raise awareness. Take Angelika Markul, for instance, who brought her work “Plash” to the exhibition. The work is a diamond, sculpted on ice, which, as it melted from day to day, helped to make us aware of the major issue of melting ice.
With their committed, participative art, the duo “Art orienté Objet” asked the public to sign a petition to save the Lake Clifton ecosystem in Australia. This was a way of involving the public and showing that Art may be combined with poetry to raise questions.
DESIGNING TOMORROW THROUGH EXTRAORDINARY PROJECTS3 / 5
SmartSystem (a refreshingly innovative company) presented its innovative mobile marketing programme, Smartsy, selecting projects, models and forerunner prototypes for the occasion. Among the latter figured:
● Dometti, with its Palm Shower
● Soa Architects, with their vertical farm
By Volta (an agency specializing in sensory design) offered visitors at the event the possibility of using a highly innovative interacting voting system to vote.
1100 visitors were able to create an avatar, which then selected the project that most closely represented their vision of the future on their behalf. Among the other outstanding projects were:
● Jakob+Macfarlane et Matéo, with their sensitive, interactive urban furniture
● Peugeot’s Design LAB and its bicycle of the future.
● Planet Solar and its exceptional solar trimaran
● Gostaï, with its Jazz robots
DEBATES, SCREENINGS, WORKSHOPS & NETWORKING3 / 6
13 conferences were organized, of which 6 were BtoB and 7 BtoC, on widely different subjects, from the new scope of immaterial luxury, water-related issues, new forms of mobility, creative Innovation, experiential tourism to education through Art and creation.
1.618 Paris broadcast documentaries in partnership with Ushuaia TV, the television channel.
Yann Arthus Bertrand and GoodPlanet honoured us with the presentation of their latest film “La Soif du Monde“.
THE BALANCE SHEET IN FIGURES
The visionary pioneer event 1.618 Sustainable Luxury, which has existed since 2009, again firmly established itself as the showcase for a new form of luxury with an original choice of venue, now a sought-after part of the capital – the Cité de la Mode et du Design.
● 1800 m2 of innovative, eco-designed exhibition space
● the Guest of Honour: Brazil
● 1 contemporary art exhibition “On Tears and Fresh Water”
● 1 exhibition dedicated to forward-looking innovation
● 2 prizes: The HEC & 1.618 Sustainable Luxury Award /The 1.618 Sustainable Luxury Award by the Public
● More than 250 journalists
● Representatives from 174 international media organisations
● A trade show presenting 32 companies, selected by 1.618 and its committee of experts.
● 13 conferences, of which 6 were BtoB and 7 BtoC
● 4500 trade and general public visitors
THE VALIDATION COMMITTEE4 / 7
Chef de Projet Design & Environnement – Cité du Design de Saint-Étienne
Experte en stratégies de développement durable, fondatrice d’Utopies.
Experte en communication
Associé responsable de l’activité de conseil en développement durable de PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC).
Chef de projet Eco2initiatives. Auteur du guide méthodologique « Le tourisme durable » publié par le Comité 21
Direction Générale du WWF pendant 5 ans puis création de Citizen Luxury, structure de conseil en philanthropie et luxe responsable.
OUR MAIN PARTNERS4 / 8
Valorisation de l’innovation dans l’ameublement